Friday, March 21, 2008

The Seven Last Words of Christ

Today is Good Friday. 
We just came back from a service at Park Street Church, reminded once again of the sacrificial love of Christ and how He died on the cross for our sins. I remember the first time I had communion at the foot of the stage in the hall of my secondary school. I was 14 then. I cried because I was so touched by His great love for me. Even today, there are still so much emotions in my heart that I can't quite put into words. "What cannot be said in a few words, cannot be said in a lot of words either." How true it is. 

During the service, the sanctuary was progressively darkened to signify the increasing darkness that covered the earth as Jesus hung on the cross. Throughout the service, we remained seated because standing to worship has historically signified resurrection, which is celebrated on Easter Sunday. 

The photo below shows the seven lighted candles that stand for the seven last words of Christ. They were later extinguished one by one to symbolize the sacrificial death of Jesus. A cymbal was then sounded to suggest the earthquake that occurred when Jesus died. The lights in the church will be returned with Jesus' resurrection on Easter morning and is symbolized with the Christ candle.


The seven last words of Christ:

Jesus said," Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." 
Luke 23: 32 - 34

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." 
Luke 23: 39 - 43

When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is you son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." 
John 19:25 - 27

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" - which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" 
Matthew 27: 45 - 46

Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."
John 19: 28 - 29

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished."
John 19:30

Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."
Luke 23:44 - 46




"But he was pierced for our transgressions, 

       he was crushed for our iniquities; 
       the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, 
       and by his wounds we are healed."

~ Isaiah 53:5 ~

No comments: