Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cars, cars and more cars!

Coincidentally, Faith and Stanley both just blogged about their cars. One is an affordable car because it was purchased in Australia while the other is steep simply because it was bought in Singapore. 

Cars in the States are very cheap too. So how cheap is cheap? Here's the difference:

Singapore
Brand: Toyota 
Model: Corolla Altis 1600 Sedan Auto 
Price: $60 000



United States
Brand: Mercedes
Model: CLK 350 Coupe
Price: US$17232 (48 months lease) / S$27227



Okie, I admit that there is a difference between owning and leasing a car for 48 months. But come on, that is driving a Merc around for 4 solid years! Some Singaporeans would have sold their Japanese car by then! And how many people have actually own a Merc in their lifetime? Let's put aside moral issue of whether one should indulge in luxury; I really cringe at the fact that prices of cars in Singapore are so RIDICULOUSLY and OUTRAGEOUSLY high. 

I once heard from a American friend that he knew of a Singaporean who moved to the States for work and he bought a BMW within a few months. Of course! Who wouldn't? Well, if Daniel and I were to work here for a good 4 to 5 years, I would totally zip around in a BMW! 

But, the fact is we are here for only 1.5 years. So what can we say? Like that lor... I guess when we go back to Singapore, we are highly likely to get a car - yup, a small, modest Japanese car. I would try very hard to forget the fact that with the same amount, I could have driven a CLK. And I would still smile when I am behind the steering wheel and thank God for his provision - big or small. =)

No comments: