Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In the mood for movies

Recently I have been having a strong "craving" for Wong Kar Wai's (王家卫) movies. So I went for a marathon of movies that spanned from 1990 to 2004. These include Days of Being Wild (阿飞正传), Chunking Express (重庆森林), In the Mood for Love (花样年华)and 2046 (二零四六). 

With a cast of gorgeous actors and actresses, Wong takes you through a journey of longing, desire, passion, concealed emotions, rebelliousness, hatred and tragedy. They lead you to ponder and create your own conclusions based on the perceptions and emotions that you have at the end of the show. 

There is a catch though; the storyline of his movies are interrelated. You probably need to watch them in sequence to understand the full picture of the unfolding plot.  I didn't quite understand 2046 when I watched it 4 years ago because I didn't catch his previous movies. Now that I did, I finally understand the storyline. 

Wong's movies are truly the epitome of art-house romance; how much have I missed in the past!








No comments: